A Little About Me....

My photo
Like many of you I am a busy mom...a SAHM. I certainly keep busy with my 101 hobbies. I plan to start preschool at home this fall with my daughter. I taught elementary school and have a Master's degree in Reading. I miss teaching, but look forward to homeschool.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Get ready, set, GO!


Ever since I found out I was pregant I have thought about what it would be like to start homeschooling my daughter. I feel like it has been a long time coming, but yet it is also sneaking up on me. I am thrilled, nervous, and cautious.


This past year my daughter Katie learned a lot. She was exposed to so much because she is two and curious. My goal for her learning when she was two was met in February of this year. I wanted her to learn the alphabet letters (the names of them, the sounds they make, and be able to identify them), numbers 1 to 30 (basically counting and identification), colors, and shapes. She has learned those concepts as a two year old.


2009-2010 Goals

By the end of the year I want Katie to learn:


  • Pre-Reading: beginning sounds, vowel sounds, put letters together to make words, and basic sight words

  • Basic math concepts: counting, patterns, shapes (3 dimensional), calendar, money, measurement, and simple addition

  • Science: compare/contrast, animals and their habitats, how things grow, and seasons

  • Bible: memory verse each week, key bible stories each week, and key bible characters

And yes, I am an over achiever! Even in my classroom I encouraged my students to shoot for the stars. If Katie learns all of that this year I will be a very proud momma. In the end the point of this is to have a goal for your child. I do have even more goals, but these are behavioral, developmental, and physical. For example: I want Katie to learn how to cut a straight line with scissors.


As a mom, I want my child to grow and learn everything she can and I don't want to overwhelm her. I remember a few months back I gave her some shapes that had dotted lines. I showed her how to trace them and she could not do it. After a few tries we stopped. Then 2 months later I showed it to her again. Now she likes to trace letters and is fairly good at it. You know your child the best. Make goals that suit you and your child best. AND...celebrate all the successes along the way!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment