A Little About Me....

My photo
Like many of you I am a busy mom...a SAHM. I certainly keep busy with my 101 hobbies. I plan to start preschool at home this fall with my daughter. I taught elementary school and have a Master's degree in Reading. I miss teaching, but look forward to homeschool.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Katie




Katie
My inspiration
My motivation
My little girl.
I am sure that after God created the heavens and the earth he had in mind this little angel. I have hoped and prayed to be a mom like many other moms out there who struggle with fertility. I longed to hold my own little bundle in my arms. Before I had her I taught elementary school and loved my students. Many still write me now to remind me that even though the years have passed I am still their favorite teacher. I think that stems from the fact that I "truly" loved them. I have a passion for teaching and really do enjoy it. The only reasons that I am not teaching now are my daughter and the lack of support for teachers. Often I think about my old classroom and the lives that I touched. I do miss it. However, being home with my daughter has meant more to me than you could even imagine. I do remind myself daily that I am truly blessed to be home with her. As soon as I started teaching I started my master's degree in Reading and ESOL. This was something that I wanted to accomplish before having kids because I knew that I would never do it later. I mean come on if I had to choose...play with my baby or write a 30 page paper.....hands down I pick my baby. So once I graduated and got that out of the way I started "trying" to get pregnant. To my surprise I would spend the next 3 years "trying". We did experience a miscarriage, but through it all God was with me. There were times I cried and begged the Lord and there were times when I had total peace. I had a desire deep in my heart to be a mom and kept believing God for that miracle in my life.
In January of 2006 I found out I was pregnant. I was elated. My pregnancy for the most part was uneventful. I just had the normal bouts of nausea and crazy cravings. I went on to deliver my most amazing accomplishment, Katie. Her delivery was rough, but we made it and I knew at that moment God had a plan for her. From the very beginning I knew she was special and she was mine!
My little angel Katie is 2 years and 9 months old. I know she will be 3 soon, but I want keep her 2 everyday until she is 3. We as moms tend to look forward. We say, " he'll be 4 next month". Why rush it? So for now....she is 2.
As an educator I really want the job of teaching my daughter. I have been trained for this. I have learned a lot about kids. I certainly don't know it all, but I love learning. Everyday I realize how much I don't know and I want to know more. As a planner by nature, I have started looking into homeschooling. This was a tricky place for me. I don't want to start too early or too late. I know what is expected developmentally for school age kids, but preschoolers??? I don't know. Not only do I want to teach my child...I want her to excell. I want to do it right and do it well. I know that I can learn from mistakes, but I really don't want to make mistakes with my child. So although I shoot for the moon, I know it won't be perfect.
Looking at websites about homeschooling is so daunting. There is sooooooooo much out there. There is a ton of free information and resources. You will find just as much you can buy. Where do I start?? Well, that is why I am here blogging. I am at START on the game board that is my child's education. I learned in college that 50% of the potential to learn is developed by the age of 4. I don't want to wait until she is 5 to give her the big stuff and I don't want to overwhelm her either. Hmmmmm..... Let's see where this leads.

1 comment:

  1. Love your new blog!! Beautiful and creative writing! You're so talented. Daddy & I are very proud to be your parents and of the woman you've become. Katie will do well in "your pre-school". Can't wait to hear how it goes. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete