A Little About Me....

My photo
Like many of you I am a busy mom...a SAHM. I certainly keep busy with my 101 hobbies. I plan to start preschool at home this fall with my daughter. I taught elementary school and have a Master's degree in Reading. I miss teaching, but look forward to homeschool.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lessons from the Kitchen

Time to bake with mom!!!

When I thought about what is important about education I asked myself a lot of questions. I think if you plan to homeschool you need to do the same thing. What is your goal? Why choose homeschool over public school or even a private school? Is your child going to benefit most with you at home or could they achieve the same education being in "school"?

As an educator, I have always dreamt that I would have the opportunity to teach my own children. I have never been a part of a homeschool group and I don't know what a typical homeschool truly looks like. What I do know are the basics of what kids need and I understand the developmental process. As much as I do know, I also know that I don't know it all and I will learn a lot along the way.

So ask yourself, "What are the objectives that I want my child to learn?" Figure out those important areas and see if you can fit them into the days of the week.
My important areas are: Art, Bible, Science, Language, Cooking, and Math Concepts

My plan is simple:
I will cover math concepts (calendar, patterns, numbers, counting, money) mostly in the morning, but these will most likely randomly happen throughout the day. (Teachable moments are so valuable.)
Each day will have an activity and they will correspond with an alphabet letter.

Week #1 August 3-7
I will be planning activities that start with the letter A.
Stay tuned....next week I will post my lesson plans. Yes, there will be more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment