A Little About Me....

My photo
Like many of you I am a busy mom...a SAHM. I certainly keep busy with my 101 hobbies. I plan to start preschool at home this fall with my daughter. I taught elementary school and have a Master's degree in Reading. I miss teaching, but look forward to homeschool.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

"C" is for Cutie



We are ready for "C" week. I am thrilled at how well things are going for us in our homeschooling. Part of the reason it is going so well is because my little curly-haired cutie loves learning! So often she is learning something new and doesn't even realize it. She will be 3 next month (which I will not dwell on) but while she is two we are certainly taking it easy. I know there are kids that start reading when they are 2 or 3 years old and parents today want some kind of super genuis, but that is really not my intent. I will be thrilled if she is a good reader when she is ready for kindergarten. That would be an excellent start for any kid.


Pushing Katie hard now will only force her to grow up too fast. I want to cling to every day not rush her development. Many times you can't rush their development and that will only frustrate you as a parent. Kids will learn to read on their own time. It really won't matter if Suzy can read at 3 years old and Charlie starts to read at 6.


As a parent you need to decide what your child needs. If your child can read then by all means buy them books, but if they just want to play then let them play and be kids. This doesn't mean you never expose them to reading concepts. It is not necessary to get out the flashcards everyday and fret over learning each word now.


When I was teaching first grade, I was bombarded by parents who wanted to know what more they could do at home to help their kids in school. My answer was READ to them. Your child will learn new words, phrasing, concepts of print, story patterns (beginning-middle-end) and so much more just from hearing you read. You are modeling good reading skills. Next to reading I would say if you want your kids to excell in learning you should talk to them. I don't mean..."What do you want for breakfast? Which show do you want to watch?.....Make time to sit and talk to your kids. Take them for ice cream and talk. Go to the playground and instead of talking to your adult friend chase your kiddo, play, and talk with them.


Our Plans this week for the letter "C"
Memory Verse:
"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28


Monday: Recipe: Colorful Confetti (Funfetti) Cake and icing

Tuesday: Art: Collage

Wednesday: Bible: Creation

Thursday: Language: Make and take little "C" books and other "C" reading activities

Friday: Science: Colors-Mixing and making colors

What a fun week!! I added a few other ideas on the sidebar. Many of these concepts can be used with a variety of age ranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment