A Little About Me....

My photo
Like many of you I am a busy mom...a SAHM. I certainly keep busy with my 101 hobbies. I plan to start preschool at home this fall with my daughter. I taught elementary school and have a Master's degree in Reading. I miss teaching, but look forward to homeschool.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Donuts Today

Today is "D" day #1

We make a recipe every Monday and today we made donuts. At first I was quite hesitant because it sounded like a lot of work. But these fried treats were so easy. However, since they are so rich in fat and calories I will not be making these often. Here's the recipe in case you want to give them a try.

Ingredients:

refrigerated biscuit dough (not a flakey one)
oil for frying (I used canola)
1-2 cups powered sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla
2-3 tbsp milk
2-3 tbsp water
sprinkles

Open the biscuits and lay them out.

Cut out the centers with a small circle shape (ex. cap from water bottle) or a biscuit cutter.


Then lay 3-4 in the pan of oil on a medium heat. The oil should come up half way on the donuts. Watch them closely. It should be about 3-4 minutes per side.
Flip them and then take them out when both sides are golden brown.

Add the remaining donuts and repeat.




After the donuts are cooked up golden brown place them on paper towels to absorb any extra oil.



While the donuts are cooling mix up the icing.

The measurements are loose because it depends on how much icing you need/want. Mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tbsp milk and 1 tbsp water. Then add 1 tsp of vanilla. Add milk or water if it is not runny enough. Mix with a spoon until smooth. It should be runny, so it will drip and ooze all over ther donuts.

Katie helped put the icing on most of the donuts....until she fell into "lick-the-spoon" temptation.

Spoon or drip the icing on the donuts however you want it.
Ooey gooey icing on a hot fresh donut....hungry yet?

You can also use food coloring to make pretty colors. Other variations; add sprinkles, dip them in powdered sugar, sprinkle them with cinnamon, or ice them with chocolate frosting.

Cutie Pie!
Okay its "D" week.... Donut darling!

Oh the temptation.....

I love that I got this on film.
I was standing right there and she still gave into the temptation.

Look at my donut (half).
I refused to give her a whole one.... way too much sugar and fat for a 2 year old.

You can just see the satisfaction in her eyes.
So yummy!
She loved it.

Hope you have fun making some yummy donuts!

2 comments:

  1. YUM!! And I thought I was bad for breaking into the chocolate chips for a snack today...HA! I'm sure Eliott is in heaven right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, I see how well your camera is working! Great job & please no more of the temptation! LOL j/k keep it coming--it's great & I really appreciate you posting your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete